Why do you want to know what CP is doing? There really isn't any way that I
know of to find out. You could turn on various traces, and then write code to
post-process those traces and see what CP is doing. (Or ask IBM to process
them.) But unfortunately, turning on the traces would probably slow things down
enough that the results would be quite different from the situation you started
with. And in the end. what CP is doing might not be very interesting or useful.
It would certainly require a fair knowledge of CP internals, as well.

A much more useful thing is to ask is what your particular Linux guest is
waiting for. z/VM has a "high speed state sampling" component that provides
this information in the monitor records. I can read this in the ESAMON ESAXACT
panel. (I leave as an exercise for it to someone else to translate ESAMON to
other monitors.) You can certainly read CPU wait there. If CPU wait is higher
than you like for your Linux guest, you can use SHARE settings to make it run
faster -- but this is  a case of "robbing Peter to pay Paul". To lower CPU wait
for one guest means raising it for other guests. Or you could add additional
engines to your z/VM system.

See <http://linux-sandbox.com/SAMPXACT.HTML> for a sample ESAXACT panel.

There are other wait states in the ESAXACT panel -- I/O wait, page wait, etc.
Some of them that are not as easily understood. If you really have a problem
with what you see, you may have to contact IBM or your monitor vendor. (I don't
know any way to get this information without a monitor. You could write your
own code to post-process monitor records, I suppose. You would learn a lot, but
it would be rather time-consuming.)

It would be interesting to see how the numbers that Linux reports compare to
the ones that CP reports -- and to try to explain the differences. I certainly
don't have time for the exercise, but maybe someone else has done it? I would
believe the z/VM numbers over the Linux numbers, simply because z/VM knows more
about what is actually happening than Linux does.