I'm installing SLES 11 SP 1 under z/VM 5.2 on an IBM z/890.

During the installation process, a swap disk is created on my dasda
drive automatically by the install process.  I have my own swap disks
(vdisks) allocated and I don't want/need this swap disk.

I can go into partitioning during the install and delete this swap disk
(created as dasda1 with my linux system on dasda2).  That does get rid
of the swap disk and the linux system would then be moved to dasda1.
OK.

However, and here is the complaint.  I still lost the disk space on
dasda that was allocated to the bogus swap disk on dasda1.  In other
words the disk that I will install on, which is now dasda1, starts on
cylinder 307.

And the starting location isn't constant.  If you install under
different virtual storage sizes, the swap disk allocated is 1/2 of the
virtual storage size.

Note:

with def stor 512m
│Partitioning
 ┬│
  ││
    ││
  ││ *  Create swap partition /dev/dasda1 (247.50 MB)
    ││
  ││ *  Create root partition /dev/dasda2 (2.05 GB) with ext3
    ││
  ││ *  Use /dev/dasdb1 as swap
    ┴│
  ││ *  Use /dev/dasdc1 as swap
    ││
  ││

with def stor 768m

Partitioning
┬│
  ││
    ││
  ││ *  Create swap partition /dev/dasda1 (372.66 MB)
    ││
  ││ *  Create root partition /dev/dasda2 (1.93 GB) with ext3
    ││
  ││ *  Use /dev/dasdb1 as swap
    ┴│
  ││ *  Use /dev/dasdc1 as swap

To get my disk space back, I have to delete all the partitions for
dasda and add in the dasda1 partition.

So, I have a way around it.
But it looks like some PC type default snuck in to create this swap
disk.

I have my workaround, but it shouldn't be needed in the first place
<G>.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting