I have been asked several times by our network people if there is a way to
get Linux to stop using IPv6 DNS resolution.  With multiple search domains,
Linux will try all of them in IPv6 before it tries IPv4.  Especially when
considering the IBM WebSphere is excessive with its use of DNS lookup, this
results in a huge amount of useless network traffic.

We need to tell Linux to try IPv4 lookup before IPv6.  Has anyone found a
way to do this?  Most of our Linux guests are currently SLES9 with a few
SLES10.  We will be migrating to SLE11 soon so a solution at any of these
levels will get us headed in the right direction.

I think that I recently saw a similar question asked either on this list or
on some other forum.  I cannot find this discussion.  I would appreciate it
if someone could point me to the previous discussion.

Rick Barlow
Nationwide Insurance