Ok, i listened to the announcement too. It does solve a lot of problems.

The issue with "consolidating windows workloads" - this would NOT be
done with emulators on "z", the cost of an intel emulator is so high (as
anyone with a EECS degree should know). So the choice is convert to
Linux, but that was not always possible, now we have the "blade" option
that is still managed.
Same with AIX

I think they are making the z/VM opportunities low key (yes, i did
listen to their pitch). I think the opportunities for this system are
for z/VM, but they still play like they think everything will be z/os
and managed that way. (Does that spell opportunity for a VM software
company?)  Or maybe they haven't figured out how to make all this work -
seems easy using z/vm - we already have the GP/IFLs/zaps/ziips in the
same LPAR, seems easy to extend the dispatcher to support some x86 and P
processors.

All very exciting, lots of performance research fun, the more work on a
system, the more important performance, chargeback, operational alerts
and capacity planning become.
The more sophisticated an environment, the more important something like
zPRO is needed.

I like....

Marcy Cortes wrote:
Maybe everyone is waiting for the webcast.
The name is a little weird.
Sounds speedy - what do *you* think about it?

Marcy

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have
received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and