The consideration is the LPAR overhead. The more dispatching there is,
the more is the "physical overhead". I've seen that running as high as
5% of each processor on overcommitted systems, and .1% normally.

Joe Martin wrote:
Have a development system that has 2 IFLs and both are configured to the
LPAR running z/VM.  Have several SUSE Linux 11 guests running and the LPAR
is busy during the day - high 90s percent busy as displayed by Velocity.  I
noticed yesterday that two of the busier systems have *3* vCPUs configured
to them.  I'm wondering if that will hurt or help performance of the guest
(or maybe be of no consequence) when the LPAR is very busy.

Thanks,

Joe