>   In theory, we could mangle the IPL code into the first
> 512 bytes of a filesystem which is reserved on x86 as "partition boot
> record",   ...

You should thusly mangle the IPL code.   :-)

It doesn't break anything else to do so.

> a) the disk would not be "labled" as observed by other mainframe OSes
> b) this would differ from how people use Linux on other platforms
>   where they typically do use partitions   ...

The problem with mainframe labelling (the req for an IBM volser) is
that it panders to the bad behaviour of a certain other mainframe op
sys.  Also, we're mixing labelling with partitioning.  They are not
the same thing, though CDL accommodates both.

It is presumptuous, and increasingly incorrect, to expect that users
partition everything on other platforms.  In fact, there are growing
numbers of cases where users/customers DO NOT partition physical
media.

Windows assumes partitioning (except where it is forced to know
better).  Too bad for Windows.  z/OS assumes IBM volsers.  Too bad for
z/OS.  This is Linux.  We should be able to bypass the complexities
and ... Keep It Simple.  Partitioning is a layer of complexity.  Where
it is needed, fine.  Where it is not needed, let us turn it off.

Rick Troth
Velocity Software
http://www.velocitysoftware.com/