Is it possible to trigger a bogus transaction say, an hour before your first
transaction is usually executed?

We had a similar problem with CICS back in the '90s.  The transaction did a
call (a no no back in CICS 1.7) to an external routine which did a lot of
paging and a lot of I/O to non-cached controllers.  The first time thru, the
transaction would abend (AICA...runaway task timer).  After storage was loaded,
it would run in a few seconds.

The cheapest/easiest solution was to trigger the transaction a couple times
before users got on.

Is that possible with your application?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Mark Wheeler <mwheele...@hotmail.com> 3/17/2011 11:55 AM >>>
Bob,

No, the question was asked previously, but I chose to ignore it. For one,
because it would take way too long to explain adequately, and also that the
thread would quickly expand exponentially.

Quick answer: we have an app that sees elongated response times on the first
transaction of the day. We have traced it back to several thousand synchronous
pageins (because stuff got paged out overnight, and our page volumes aren't
infinitely fast). All subsequent transactions run sub-second. I have no idea
which pages are involved, but it was suggested that since they were synchronous
pageins, it may involve the kernel. A POSSIBLE solution that crossed my mind
would be to lock kernel pages in storage and see if that solved the problem.
All I needed to conduct that little experiment was to know where the kernel
lived in storage.

Again, I know most everyone who reads this will have the same obvious questions
and suggestions, and I appreciate that. Alas, right now there isn't enough time
or bandwidth to explain the situation in sufficient detail so as  to prevent
this thread from blowing up in a hundred different directions. The suggestion
to look at /proc/iomem answered my immediate question. As necessary, I'll toss
further questions out to the list.

Thanks all!

Mark Wheeler
UnitedHealth Group