Not a valid restriction.

Open Systems and Network types only run a single stack in a box (vast majority
of the time).
Here, they still can't grasp that I have some 70 stacks running on a single
box.  (but there is only 2 ethernet cables...so you can't have 70 stacks!!!!)

>From their viewpoint, treat each stack as a standalone box when dealing with
>them.  Just like standalone boxes, if you have one stack routing to another
>stack, it is the same as one box being routed to another box.

If some stacks need to be passed thru the DMZ to the outside world, just
identify the IP addresses envolved.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Ron Foster at Baldor-IS <rfos...@baldor.com> 3/30/2011 10:56 AM >>>
Hello listers,

Our company has recently been acquired by another company.  We are at
the point of having to get our two networks to talk to each other.
Before we can do that, we have to comply with certain security rules.
One of them being that the mainframe cannot be exposed to the internet.

We have a couple of zLinux web servers that are running in a couple of
z/VM guests that are connected to our DMZ.  The new folks say this is a
show stopper as far as hooking up the two networks.

The questions I have are:

Is this a common restriction?  That is, you have to have your DMZ based
web servers running on some other platform so that your mainframe is not
exposed to the internet.

Or, the new folks just don't understand the built-in security provided
by the z10 and z\VM 6.1.

I know that we will end up conforming to the rules that the new folks
have, but I was just wondering if the new folks really know what they
are talking about.

Thanks,
Ron