I am not sure what you are asking.
Linux/390 is an ASCII system, just like Solaris (SunOS).
Linux on the mainframe needs no translation when talking to Solaris
(on any hardware).
Solaris on the mainframe needs no translation when talking to Linux
(on any hardware).

Linux/390 (and Solaris on z) can run alongside EBCDIC systems such as
z/OS, z/VM, VSE, TPF.  Those systems all have built-in means to speak
ASCII when connecting via TCP/IP.  Linux and Solaris are usually
better off *not* becoming involved in the translation.

z/VM and z/OS (and VSE, maybe TPF) support FTP.  It's not the same as
SFTP (FTP using SSH).  z/VM and z/OS also support FTPS (FTP with SSL).
 The FTP server on the EBCDIC system should handle translation of text
files.

Let the EBCDIC side do the translation.

I hope this helps.

Rick Troth