I'm doing a tar to a 3590 tape drive.
Sample command is:

tar -b 64 -vv -pcf /dev/ntibm0 /home > /home/tarlisting/bkup.lst

When it finishes, tar doesn't free up the tape drive.

lstape shows that the drive is still in use:

linux74:/home # lstape
FICON/ESCON tapes (found 1):
TapeNo  BusID      CuType/Model DevType/Model   BlkSize State   Op      MedState
0       0.0.05b0   3590/50      3590/11         auto    IN_USE  WRI     LOADED

SCSI tape devices (found 0):
Generic Device        Target       Vendor   Model            Type     State

Which then causes other commands to fail, such as:

linux74:/home # mtst -f /dev/ntibm0 rewind
/dev/ntibm0: Device or resource busy

Eventually, longer than 5 minutes but less then 30 minutes, the IN_USE state
drops back to UNUSED and I can go back to issuing tape commands.

I've been reading the tar INFO manual looking to see if tar will hold a drive
for a period of time, perhaps to be able to append another tar image or
something like that.

I haven't found anything yet.

So is there something else I need to be looking at?
I can solve this by looping a mtst within a script until the return code equals
0, but I would much rather have my tape drive back immediately.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting