I've been asked to look into something that I'm not sure how much I know
about...  But that is par for the course.

Somewhere, we have a Novell Netware File Server (apparently NetWare 5.70.05).
The person that really knew and installed this server, left over a year ago,
and there is really not going to be a replacement for the job function/title,
or for that matter, the position will not be filled either.

This fileserver supports the F: drive on some 2,000 PCs.  It represents the
users private network space.
The SAN that is dedicated to this is about 2TB.

I've been asked to see what it would take to convert this from Netware to Samba
on our mainframe (SUSE 11 SP 1).

Well, we would need to add in some drives to our DS6800 (ficon attached).
I believe we have sufficient CPU and memory in to support this.

I've never tried, but there is documentation about some sort of automatic way
of adding users to Samba, but I don't know if this applies to my configuration.

Of the many security systems we have, it looks like NetWare is using eDirectory.
I don't know if other systems are also using eDirectory.  If they are, then it
would be nice to have Samba keep using eDirectory.  I might have skipped it but
I haven't found any documentation about Samba using eDirectory.
(I didn't know until 10 minutes ago that we are using eDirectory as I thought
we were using Microsofts something...something.)

If this conversion can be somewhat easily done, then I will keep going forward
with this research.  But if it is going to be complicated, I'm not so
interested.  Of course management has a lot to say about what I'm interested in
<G>.

BTW, on the Novell login, we enforce password changes and it syncs with the
Windows password.
When the user Mounts the F: drive, they are never asked for a userid/password.
We don't want to loose that feature, with 2,000 users.

On another Samba server I have, which isn't connected to eDirectory, when
smbpasswd has your current Novell password, mount requests are handled without
authentication prompting.  When smbpasswd doesn't have the current Novell
password, it does prompt for the password Samba knows about (not your current
Novell password).  So it seems that, within Windows, a mount will pass your
current Windows userid/password (which it kept in sync) to Samba.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting