On Friday, October 21, 2011 08:49:27 am McKown, John wrote:
> This is likely going to sound weird. But an idea has been bouncing around
> in my head and tormenting me. Some terminology as I use it: "desktop" is
> my local PC and "host" is the remote z/Linux. Now, I connect from my
> desktop to the host using SSH with reverse tunneling for X access. ...
>
> What I would like to have is a way to mount my desktop's $HOME on the host
> some way so that host programs can access files on my desktop like they
> can NFS mounted files on other servers. ...

You have to set up port forwarding for the ports used by NFS.  The primary
port is 2049, but there's other ports used by the portmap service, the lock
daemon and so on.  Here's a link to a solution that might work for you:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/170280-solved-nfs-mount-
via-ssh-tunnel.html
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street  -  Newton, MA 02466-2272  -  USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4321
Email: m...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com