When I use 3590 tapes here, this is what I do:

vary on 5b1 (vary it off first on the other lpar)
attach 5b1 LINUX72

>From Linux:

lstape
chccwdev -e 0.0.05b1  (set drive online)
lstape
mtst -f /dev/ntibm0 rewind
mtst -f /dev/ntibm0 fsf 1
mtst -f /dev/ntibm0 compression 1

However, you have to install the mtst tar file (part of the IBM code) to use
the mtst command.
Without mtst, I don't believe that you can turn on/off compression on your
drives.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> 11/5/2011 4:50 PM >>>
Hello,

I have RHEL 6 Linux running as a guest under z/VM 6.1 on our z10 BC. It has the
following 3590-H tape drives assigned in the z/VM directory:

DEDICATE 1500 1500 MULTIUSER
DEDICATE 1501 1501 MULTIUSER
DEDICATE 1502 1502 MULTIUSER
DEDICATE 1503 1503 MULTIUSER

A query command shows the drives are attached to the Linux guest:

q 1500-1503
TAPE 1500 ATTACHED TO ZLINUX1  1500 R/W  NOASSIGN MULTIUSER
TAPE 1501 ATTACHED TO ZLINUX1  1501 R/W  NOASSIGN MULTIUSER
TAPE 1502 ATTACHED TO ZLINUX1  1502 R/W  NOASSIGN MULTIUSER
TAPE 1503 ATTACHED TO ZLINUX1  1503 R/W  NOASSIGN MULTIUSER

However, the lstape command shows no drives:

FICON/ESCON tapes (found 0):
TapeNo  BusID      CuType/Model DevType/Model   BlkSize State   Op      MedState

SCSI tape devices (found 0):
Generic Device        Target       Vendor   Model            Type     State

I found the driver here:

/lib/modules/2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.s390x/kernel/drivers/s390/char/tape_3590.ko

What am I missing? How can I get Linux to recognize these tape drives?

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc