I'm no special friend of Oracle, but anyway:

IMHO this is not a political statement.

The database engine or process uses large memory buffers to
cache the (least recently used) database pages in REAL memory,
and database performance may degrade significantly, if there is
paging acitivity on the memory buffers of the database engine.
So the DB admins have to take care that the real storage on the
DB machine is large enough that there is no paging on the DB
buffers, and the DB buffers have to be defined only as large as the
available REAL memory (not the address space).

This is true for every DB system, regardless of name or vendor.

So, of course, the performance of a DB system on a virtual system
will suffer - if you don't have features like V=R pages (on z/VM, for
example), where you can fix the real pages of the DB machine.

Kind regards

Bernd