Everything John said is spot-on.  However, you can launch CYGWIN/X
without the system tray icon.  I usually ran it that way:  The goal
was "X is always there" and I liked having one less thingy in the
systray.

Used to do this all the time, Matt.  But that was when I had to use
Windows as my primary desktop.  So ... lemme dig it up.

Found it ... launch CYGWIN/X with something like ...

        XWin -ac -emulate3buttons -multiwindow -clipboard -notrayicon

I have one or two "wrapper" scripts around this.  But if XWin is
properly installed, you should be able to run it in a CYGWIN shell
window.  THEN set your  DISPLAY=":0", export DISPLAY,  and run  'ssh
-Y'.

The above options ... "-ac" turns off X security.  YOU HAVE BEEN
WARNED.  (There are other ways to secure it.  Do so.)
"-emulate3buttons" is not needed if you have a third button.
"-multiwindow" means to let MS Windows manage the X windows
side-by-side.  "-clipboard" lets you copy-n-paste between X and MS
Windows.  (But remember that X has multiple cut buffers, so the effect
is not universal.)  And "-notrayicon" I discussed at the top.

Enjoy!

-- R;
Rick Troth
Velocity Software