On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:36:47 -0400 (EDT), Mark Post wrote:

> The dasd_fba_mod driver automagically creates one partition
> that spans the entire minidisk.  That's all you get.

I haven't been following this thread; so please forgive me if
I am rehashing stuff that's already been said.  I have used
FBA disks in z/Linux for testing purposes.  What I do is format
them with the CMS FORMAT command, then reserve them with the
CMS RESERVE command.  Under these conditions, the Linux kernel
(fs/partitions/ibm.c) will recognize the CMS reserved file
(except for the last logical block) as the one and only partition
on the disk.  So, for example, /dev/dasda would refer to the whole
disk and /dev/dasda1 would refer to the one and only partition.
You don't need to use dasdfmt or fdasd.  You do, however, need
to use mkfs (or one of its derivatives) or mkswap to format the
partition (/dev/dasda1).  Alternatively, you can enroll the
partition in a logical volume group (LVM2), in which case you
don't format the partition.  But you will need to expand the
file system on the logical volume in order to use the new space.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :