I would argue that WAS ND on zLinux is much simpler than clustering across a
bunch of x86 servers.

We've been doing Websphere ND on zLinux for 4-5 years with WAS 6.0, 6.1, 7.0,
and 8.5.  The biggest advantage is scalability of each host.  We run 85
Websphere instances across 5 hosts with the DMGR on it's own 6th host.  And
this scalability is key, because maintaining 5 Websphere installations is much
easier than managing 85 Websphere installations....

For production, we cluster but do not load balance.  We've found plenty of
scalability with running the workload on a single instance of each prod server,
and the clustering is simply for failover.  This makes debugging massively
easier than trying to troubleshoot on what instance a problem occurred.  Just
for context, our volume is about 2,000,000 servlet hits per day.  I don't have
as good of a count on EJB's.

Because of that scalability, we will not have much of a need to use the new
dynamic clustering in WAS 8.5 until a bigger load comes along.

Having your Websphere logs in the same place makes it easy to give your
developers access via a simple common interface.

Automated change control is simpler in our case, as that single DMGR can push
code to any of the 85 servers.  And we just have to put the prod application
property & configuration files in a single (plus the failover) location that
prod server instances share.

There's more, but I don't want to write a book.

Downsides
The biggest downside is that wsadmin installation is CPU expensive!

zVM is extremely simple, but not intuitive and as easy to find answers on the
internet as other OS's.

Mainframe memory is expensive

I'll send you a note to your email address with my contact info.  Feel free to
call me with any questions.

Jonathan Veencamp
Federated Mutual Insurance

personal and confidential use of the designated recipient(s) named above. This
message may be an attorney-client or work product communication which is
privileged and confidential. It may also contain protected health information
that is protected by federal law. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone and destroy (shred) the
original message and all attachments. Any review, dissemination, distribution
or copying of this message by any person other than the intended recipient(s)
or their authorized agents is strictly prohibited. Thank you.