From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mauro
Souza
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:34 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: linux cache

Never ever think about dropping cache from Linux. You will shot your both
feet.
Why?
1 - zVM doesn't have any clue about what type of data is in every page.
Program, data and cache pages looks just the same. Only Linux knows.
2 - Linux tries to access the cache page to see if it's clean or dirty, so
it can drop the clean ones and write to disk the dirty ones.
3 - Probably zVM already saw that the page was unused and had already paged
it out.
4 - zVM have to get the page back, Linux gets ejected from processing queue
because of a page fault.
5 - zVM brings the page back, bring Linux back.
6 - zVM updates the "last referenced time" for that page, so it goes to the
end of the "swap queue".
7 - Linux drops the clean page and forgets about it.
8 - zVM keeps unused page in memory, thinking Linux will use it. Linux just
changed the status of the page to "unused" and may not use it for a long
long time.
9 - Unused and forgotten page left in main memory, discarded on Linux.
10 - By the time Linux will use the page, it could be swapped out, and the
page-in process have to start again.

You can safely ignore the cache usage on Linux, zVM will realise the page
was not in use and drop it itself. When Linux needs memory, it will reclaim
cache pages automatically.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.