Mark:

Sorry for the delay.  I sent this Sunday.  Today I find out my posts to
LINUX-390 haven't been going thru because I haven't subscribed.

So I think my DROID has a different email address (outgoing), however I get all
my emails that I use to get.

So, now I'm off subscribing to all the listservs thru my Droid.

Anyway, following is a repost of my comment:

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

What I gathered from the original post was not being able to apply maintenance
due to being out of disk space.  Well if the failure is caused by memory/swap
filling up, increase virtual memory instead of adding a real 3390 to swap for
temporary problems.

I run many small, very small Linux guests that I do have to increase virtual
storage when I apply maintenance.  The smallest zLinux machine I ever got real
work out of was a 24 MB machine using IUCV for IP connectivity to VM's TCPIP
machine.  It was just a router.  Currently, my smallest machines are 48 MB (ftp
servers), and you just can't apply maintenance anymore (yast with connection to
a vswitch) in a 48 MB machine <G>.  Memory is cheap, until you have to buy it.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:

>>> On 8/16/2013 at 11:40 AM, "Duerbusch, Tom" <duerbus...@stlouis-mo.gov>
>>> wrote:
> I have also occasionally had that kind of problem.
>
> I'm under VM, so I IPL the guest and specify another 512 MB of virtual
> storage.
> Run my maintenance.
> Then reipl with the normal amount of memory for that guest.

Just curious as to what this has to do with adding disk space?