From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Alan
Altmark
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:11 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Expanding CMS Mini Disk - DDR or Copyfile? - still not expanding

On Monday, 02/02/2015 at 10:05 EST, "Vitale, Joseph"
<joseph.vit...@bnymellon.com> wrote:
> I tried your approach, the number of cylinders never expanded. What I
did, all
> is on  CKD  IBM 3390-9 disk
>
> 1)  Expanding  mdisk  991 size= 10Cyl.    10 free cylinders exist after
this
> mdisk.  Want to expand 991 from 10 to 20 cyl
> 2)  Defined another mini disk 992 for 10 Cyl, starting at next free
cylinder
> after 991
> 3)  directxa
> 4)  logon   CMF  format 992
> 5)  logoff as user
> 6)  add 10 cylinders to user mdisk 991,  directxa
> 7)  logon as user,,   acc 991 B,   format 991 b 20 (recomp     Shows
only 10
> cyl:
> format 991 b 20 (recomp
> LABEL  VDEV M  STAT   CYL TYPE BLKSZ   FILES  BLKS USED-(%) BLKS LEFT
BLK TOTAL
> XEC991 991  B   R/W    10 3390 4096       79       1794-99          6
1800

> 8)  Tried this a few different ways, same result. MDISK not expanded
from 10 to
> 20 cyl

There is only one way to expand a CMS minidisk:
1.  Create new minidisk that is larger than the old one 2.  CMS FORMAT the new
disk  (without the RECOMP option!) 3.  Copy the CMS files from the old disk to
the new disk
4 . Delete the old minidisk
5.  Rename the new minidisk to the old one.

How you do those things can vary, but they all must be done.

You cannot just add cylinders to an existing minidisk.   DEDICATED dasd
volumes can be dynamically resized via the storage controller admin functions,
but CMS won't recognize or use the additional space.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant Lab Services System z Delivery
Practice IBM Systems & Technology Group ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential
and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Access, copying
or re-use of the e-mail or any attachment, or any information contained
therein, by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended
recipient please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your
computer. Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we
do not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any
damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Please refer to http://disclaimer.bnymellon.com/eu.htm for certain disclosures
relating to European legal entities.