On mainframes - where ECKD DASD comes in smaller chunks then you might be
used to (2.3 G for 3390-3, etc) -- using LVM (logical volume manager) is
standard practice.   While there is debate whether root should be in an
LVM, or things should be separated out (/usr /tmp, etc) --  the essence is
that can allow you to extend an existing filesystem by adding space to the
logical volume manager - and then using it's commands (lvextend, et al) to
extend existing/new logical volumes groups with this space.   Without that
ability, you'd run into problems when you have a filesystem fill up -- all
you can do is copy it to a new, bigger space.   'logical volumes' let you
extend a single filesystem across several physical volumes...   things like
striping can also come into play, but that's a more advanced topic... it's
main use is to allow us to use these historically small DASD units to be
used in multiples for a single filesystem (mount point, whatever).

LVM isn't a mainframe thing -- it's a Linux thing and there's lots of info
on it via google, etc...

Scott Rohling