Mark,

Very nice, informative, post.

Harley Linker Jr.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 3:39 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Documentation for Linux on z Systems and KVM - new

>>> On 9/28/2015 at 02:25 AM, Sergey Korzhevsky <s_korzhev...@iba.by> wrote:
> Alan Altmark wrote:
>>> What is it about z that makes virtualization work better?
>>50 years of work on it?
>
> That is interesting answer. One thing came to my mind is the live
> guest relocation. As far as i could find, VMware introduced that
> feature
> (vMotion) in 2003, z/VM - in 2011. The same regarding network
> (GuestLAN/VSwitch).
> So, looks like z/VM slept all that years and was wake up by x86 world
> recently.

Having been an active participant and observer of the community for a while
now, I think I can contribute some perspective.  (From what I can tell, you
have been also so I find your comment a little surprising.)

When Linux for the mainframe was first introduced, a lot of facilities we take
for granted today didn't exist.  Guest LANs, VSWITCHes, cooperative memory
management and so on.  That started to change pretty quickly.  Things that
actually helped running more than just a few instances of Linux were introduced
and made life much easier.  Live Guest Relocation wasn't needed then, because
not many shops were running huge amounts of guests.  That pain came along
later.  Even then, it wasn't for the same reason that the x86 world wanted it.

Mainframe shops running Linux on z/VM didn't worry much about hardware failures
and migrating workload to relieve overloaded servers usually wasn't an issue
because of decades of performance and capacity management.  What "we" wanted it
for was because z/VM was so reliable it could run for years but sometimes
various maintenance was important to put on the system.  Trying to get multiple
customers of the service to agree on a maintenance window was becoming nearly
impossible, because although they wanted High Availability, they weren't
willing to actually invest in it, so the workload couldn't be failed over to
another server in a cluster.

There was another factor, although not a technical one.  Many customers have
become checklist driven.  If your product doesn't allow them to put check marks
in all the boxes on the list, it's obviously not a good product and not worthy
of consideration.  So, z/VM development was getting reports from Sales that
this function was needed, just to be "in the game."  And, being the group that
they are, z/VM development wanted to approach the development needed in a more
"system of systems" oriented way than just bolting on a feature.  Thus, Single
System Image was born, and it took quite a while and a lot of people to bring
to the market.  Taking into account the various diversions that were forced on
them during the same period of time, it's amazing they got it out as quickly as
they did.

I think most people that have been in the z/VM world for a long time would
agree that having Linux available on the mainframe has breathed new life into
z/VM.  Since then, they've been working hard to introduce things that make
sense for the mainframe environment.  What new items they work on, and what
priority they have, _can_ be influenced by current and potential customers.  I
encourage anyone who has thoughts on what those new items should be to speak
up, whether here or in the IBMVM mailing list, or at SHARE.  There are people
in these mailing lists and at SHARE that have a direct line into the z/VM and
Linux development groups at IBM.  Take advantage of that.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/
privileged.

communication is strictly prohibited.