My experience is that LVM is almost always used -- non-LVM is rarer on
zLinux.    DASD sizes have grown which help limit some needs for using LVM
-- but the ability to be expanded dynamically is a pretty big sell point
when the goal is 'no outage required' for most shops..

One exception is probably FCP/SAN storage -- where LVM may be used less
often ...  Large enough spaces may be allocated on the SAN that combining
devices isn't necessary..   but I still see LVM used for expandability
purposes even on this storage...

Scott Rohling