Hi Folks,
I am looking for some input from the community:

I have opened a ticket with Suse support concerning this issue I
encountered where our SLES 12 SP 1 systems suddenly started failing when
we run zypper or yast to apply service or install new products (earlier in
this thread).  I was told by support that each system needs a unique token
for service to work properly.  The procedure to correct the problem
involves deleting files on the SLES 12 SP1 system and re-registering it
(see below).

Is anyone aware of a documented restriction with SLES 12 SP1 requiring
each image to have a unique token?  We have been cloning our SLES systems
for years.  SLES 9, SLES 10, SLES 11, and never had an issue with applying
service or installing new products to a clone.

I feel like Suse has made a change to the way service works without
telling us.  Especially since it was working just fine on SLES 12 SP1 from
Jan 2016 to October 2016.   Before I go an make a big deal about this,
just wanted to check with the community if they are aware of any such
restriction.

I did find information for SLES 12 systems not booting after cloning,  but
that was due to the UUID of the IPL device not matching or the SWAP device
having a different UUID and the system was unable to locate the recovery
data (from sleep/suspend).  But I have not come accross anything stating
you would not be able to apply service on a cloned system if it did not
have a unique token.

Here is the fix I was giving from support to correct the problem.   It
does work,  but I really don't want to be deleting files on systems that
are currently in production.

Step 1. delete all the files in the following directories:
        /etc/zypp/credentials.d/*
        /etc/zypp/repos.d/*
        /etc/zypp/services.d/*
Step 2,  Re-register the system with Suse.

I appreciate any input anyone can share.

Thanks,
Duane

Duane Beyer
Marist College