>>> On 12/1/2016 at 04:09 PM, Duane Beyer <duane.be...@marist.edu> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I am looking for some input from the community:
>
> I have opened a ticket with Suse support concerning this issue I
> encountered where our SLES 12 SP 1 systems suddenly started failing when
> we run zypper or yast to apply service or install new products (earlier in
> this thread).  I was told by support that each system needs a unique token
> for service to work properly.  The procedure to correct the problem
> involves deleting files on the SLES 12 SP1 system and re-registering it
> (see below).
>
> Is anyone aware of a documented restriction with SLES 12 SP1 requiring
> each image to have a unique token?  We have been cloning our SLES systems
> for years.  SLES 9, SLES 10, SLES 11, and never had an issue with applying
> service or installing new products to a clone.
>
> I feel like Suse has made a change to the way service works without
> telling us.  Especially since it was working just fine on SLES 12 SP1 from
> Jan 2016 to October 2016.   Before I go an make a big deal about this,
> just wanted to check with the community if they are aware of any such
> restriction.

Technically, this is how it's always supposed to have been, essentially from
SLES10 on.  (SLES9 had a far less sophisticated update source.)  It's entirely
possible that a bug on the back end got fixed and you got caught by it.

Deleting the files under /etc/zypp/credentials.d, etc., and re-registering
should have zero impact on any running processes.  Your cloning process should
be updated to clean out those directories when creating new systems.  It's
things like this that have led some people to want to declare cloning system
unsupported.  I've fought against that, successfully so far, but there will
likely be a growing list of things that need to be "manicured" during cloning
as time goes on.

Mark Post

http://wiki.linuxvm.org/