Cross-posted to the IBMVM, Linux-390, and VSE discussion lists, and various
online communities.
LATEST UPDATE(S):
December 16, 2016.  Just a reminder for those fortunate enough to have
employer-paid education/travel support that there are only two weeks left in
the calendar year, and for many companies, their fiscal year-end.  For them,
there are only two weeks to submit a 2017 VM Workshop attendance request for
budgetary consideration.  In addition, there are many year-end vacations which
can delay budget approvals – submit the request  while you can!

WHO:
z/VM, Linux on IBM z Systems, and z/VSE friends

WHAT:
Registration for the 2017 VM Workshop is now open at:  2017 VM Workshop home
page<http://www.vmworkshop.org/2017.shtml>

WHEN/WHERE:
Thursday to Saturday, June 22-24, 2017 at Ohio State University in Columbus, OH

WHY:
This will be the 31st VM Workshop.  Members of the z/VM, Linux on IBM z
Systems, and z/VSE communities will convene for two and one-half days of the
latest technical education, peer networking, and collaboration.  The VM
Workshop is the world’s largest technical educational offering dedicated
strictly to z/VM, Linux on IBM z Systems, and z/VSE.

Previous VM Workshops have been referred to by IT management as: a large number
of system programmers with some limited “adult supervision”.  Do you really
want to miss this!?  Expect another wonderful up close and personal workshop
with great content and terrific camaraderie.  Come to meet community
old-timers... and future community old-timers while learning the latest
technical z/VM, Linux on IBM z System, and z/VSE  details.

Don't know where to start with Linux on IBM z Systems?  This is a great place
to start!

PRICE:
$100 early registration ($130 after April 30, 2017)

Such an extraordinarily low cost makes the VM Workshop the most cost effective,
value driven education opportunity around.  Dorm rooms will be available to
help reduce lodging expenses for those who choose to use it.  ALL fees go
towards conference expenses such as meals, breaks, meeting rooms, attendee polo
shirts, etc.  The VM Workshop, Inc. is an IRS registered 501(c)3 non-profit
educational organization, and we plan to stay that way.

Regular attendees and sponsor attendees: The registration fee includes:

·       Access to all sessions and hands-on labs,

·       A quality, snazzy 2017 VM Workshop polo shirt in Ohio State University
school colors (not just a cheap T-shirt like those high-priced conferences),

·       A Gala Banquet Reception and Dinner on Thursday evening,

·       Continental breakfast on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday,

·       Lunch on Thursday and Friday, and a box lunch on Saturday (assisting
those who must leave for early flights).
With corporate travel and education budgets often trimmed substantially, quite
a few attendees pay all their own expenses.  Nonetheless, consider submitting a
request to your manager soon, before 2017 corporate budgets are finalized.

HOW:
Registration is now LIVE, please check it out soon!   (Live servers are
standing by to take your registration!).
See:  2017 VM Workshop home page<http://www.vmworkshop.org/2017.shtml>

PARTICIPATE!
Compete in the historical (occasionally hysterical) VM Workshop "Ugly Hawaiian
Shirt" contest, for fun, for your own posterity, and perhaps, for a chance to
win a treasured, but ugly prize!   (B.Y.O.U.H.S.)

Enjoy sharing ‘computing war stories’, work experiences, personal adventures,
and tall tales each evening in the dorm common areas.

Most importantly, the VM Workshop began as a way for VM systems programmers to
share: what they did at their sites, what tools they wrote, mistakes they made
and how to fix them, undocumented show-stoppers they prepared for, what they
had learned, and more. What systems programmers share has often been the most
immediately useful material when returning to our own shops.  We stand on the
shoulders of those who came before us - we (you, too) owe it to them, and our
current communities, to honor them by taking the time to submit our own
USER-PRESENTED sessions.  Don't be shy, we're all your z/VM, Linux on IBM z
Systems, and z/VSE community friends.  No 'flaming' is tolerated, you won’t
find a friendlier audience anywhere.  You can do it. We know you can.  Don't
have enough to fill an hour?  No problem... submit the idea (or multiple ones!)
at:  Session
Submissions<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.vmworkshop.org_2017sesp.shtml&d=DQMGaQ&c=9BRlCmTIZ8YpLA0ALfXaxg&r=a13acfXEqW2NpLhBNKmVJUNx4dmWZg49gymxgTCwrK4&m=Ps1SDlbq0Z9e3oPlISYvZy0FYjPwCcKW-LvNyTTaHVU&s=1ohKaQaNwWRpueYhcsA8VoERL8fMIOZ3sw-nMhWT87c&e=>
   The committee will merge multiple shorter presentations in to full-hour
sessions.

More 2017 VM Workshop details will be forthcoming on the VM Workshop website
at:  2017 VM Workshop<http://www.vmworkshop.org/2017.shtml>

Please check out our generous sponsors at:  2017 VM Workshop sponsors
<http://www.vmworkshop.org/2017spon.shtml>
Speaking of sponsors, the VM Workshop web site is generously hosted by Velocity
Software, Inc. using their z/VM CMS-based zVWS webserver product (no Linux is
involved) running on their IBM z Systems mainframe.

You can review previous VM Workshop details at: Previous VM
Workshops<http://www.vmworkshop.org/prevWksh.shtml>

Please place this event on your calendar and consider joining us at Ohio State
University.  Don't miss this incredibly inexpensive, educational, and fun event!

NEED 2017 VM WORKSHOP HELP?
The VM Workshop is supported totally by volunteers, most with full-time day
jobs -- ‘stuff’ happens;

·       If you have **questions about web page content or the VM Workshop**,
please send an e-mail describing the issue to:
n...@vmworkshop.org<mailto:n...@vmworkshop.org>

·       If you encounter any **website related** problems with the web site,
please send an e-mail describing the issue to:
webmas...@vmworkshop.org<mailto:webmas...@vmworkshop.org>

Posted on behalf of the VM Workshop Volunteer Committee