best practice with docker is to keep a docker image absolutely generic so
that it can be deployed to dev/test/production without any changes. Any
personalization that needs to be done to make the docker container do it's
job should be either

a) passed to the docker container at startup through environment variables
b) put in a network service like etcd and then the container is told which
etcd to contact for config using an environment variable

If you find yourself wanting to put things into the docker container's file
system on startup, think long and hard about it, because that is an
indicator that "you're doing it wrong!!" according to the docker community.

--
Jay Brenneman