Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:17:07 +0000
From: Donald Russell <russell....@gmail.com>
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Auto login root on 3270 console ttyS0

I run a SLES 11 (for emergency recovery) and RHEL 7 system on zVM 6.3/6.4

Sysadmins can LOGON BY to get to the zLinux console if necessary.

How/what do I have to configure so logging onto the 3270 console gets me
logged into root in a bash shell automatically? Similar question for
sometimes the system has problems coming up and it's prompting for "Enter
root password or CTL-D to continue". How can that be bypassed so it just
goes into a bash shell logged in as root?

I've searched google and see reams and reams of "autologging root is a bad
idea"... I say that depends.... I think the zVM userid/password protecting
access to the zLinux console is sufficient, the "bad idea" view is based on
a physical machine that anybody could access, that's not the case for
ZLinux on z/VM.

Thanks,
Donald Russell

--
Sent from iPhone Gmail Mobile

Kindest Regards,

☮ Paul Flint
(802) 595-9365 Cell

Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgement in response to this note.

Paul Flint
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641