Are all 8 vcpus actually online and in use in the Linux image?

Lee Stewart ● VM System Support ● Visa ● Phone:  6(750)4601 - +1-303-389-4601 ●
lstew...@visa.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Martha
McConaghy
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:25 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Tuning setting in Ubuntu?

I have a project that is experiencing something interesting.  They are doing
continuous integration builds on zLinux servers using various versions of
Linux, i.e. SLES, RHEL and Ubuntu.  All are running on the same z/VM system
(6.3) and there seems to be plenty of available CPU and memory overall.  The
jobs running on the RHEL and SLES systems run in a reasonable amount of time,
but the ones on the Ubuntu system run more than twice as long.  Some have even
timed out because they didn't finish in the expected CI window.  Meanwhile, the
LPAR and z/VM system are not even breaking a sweat.  All of them have the same
resources, i.e. 8 vcpus, and 16G of memory.

The project folks report seeing a lot of cpu "steals" on the Ubuntu system.
I'm thinking of giving them more vcpus to help out with that.  However, I also
wonder if there is a tuning variable or kernel setting that is different by
default on Ubuntu than on the SLES or RHEL distributions?  The problem seemed
to start back in August, though they have been running these jobs for over a
year.  Perhaps a patch got pushed out that changed some settings?  (I've seen
Ubuntu service do weird things to other servers.)

I don't much about Ubuntu except that I dislike it intensely.  Does anyone have
any suggestions as to what to look at?

Martha

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
For more information on Linux on System z, visit http://wiki.linuxvm.org/