Yes, this is memory fragmentation.
Heiko recently did some changes that should improve the situation.

This upstream change
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/s390/linux.git/commit/?h=features&id=cd4386a931b6310b05559d2e28efda04d30ab593
will change the allocation from below 2GB to whereever is enough space left
which should improve the situation for
larger guests.
We will try to integrate that into existing distro as a backport.

Long term we try to solve the issue in a more generic way:
Newer kernel contain a feature called contiguous memory allocator and the
upstream commit
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/s390/linux.git/commit/?h=features&id=3f4298427ad521fdc74fb991b17d84959513218a
does use this allocator for vmcp. The downside is, that this will be
harder/impossible
to backport as older kernels miss the CMA infrastructure.

Christian