Greetings,

Note that I missed a '"' in the last message. ...My bad.

When I did a "man term" I discovered that terminal types were kept in alphabetical order under the directory "/lib/terminfo". On my distro of Linux, A painless way to list them is the following:

find /lib/terminfo/. |cut -d "/" -f 6 |grep . |less && wc -l

Which lets you look at them and tells you how many there are.

My first attempt, which is also valid is as follows:

sudo apt-get install tree or yum install tree

Then this bit of flummery:

tree /lib/terminfo | cut -c 14- |strings

Either of these will give you a list of terminal types available on your system.

My Linux Mint appears to have 41 choices.

To pick one for use try:

echo $TERM       # note where you start.
export TERM=ansi # you can pick one of the terminal types
                 # both "dumb" and "linux" are viable
echo $TERM       # see the new type.

Enjoy.

Flint