*All* resources have cost attributes. I'm quite sure Netflix, for example,
spends a huge sum on computing resources, although to my knowledge they
don't have a mainframe -- at least not one of their own. (Maybe they
should!) I would also point out that the world's top wealthiest people
often acquired their fortunes in computing...but never specifically in
mainframe computing, at least not so far. Those individuals are wealthier
than anybody in human history, as it happens.

Yes, mainframe owners and operators usually carefully monitor and manage
mainframe resources. Sometimes their resource management practices make
economic sense, sometimes not. At the same time, there's widespread
agreement that other computing resources aren't generally being carefully
monitored and managed enough.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z and LinuxONE, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com