With SUSE 12 SP3, I found that I needed to start converting my startup
scripts from using INIT.D to SYSTEMD.

While SYSTEMD looks a lot cleaner, INIT.D was working.  But it's time to
convert.

The script to startup VTAPE, as delivered by IBM is:

linux91:/opt/IBM/VSEVTAPE # cat run.sh
#!/bin/sh
# ---------------------------------------------------
# Startup file for VSE VTAPE Server
# ---------------------------------------------------
if [ -e "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" ]; then
  JAVA_EXEC="$JAVA_HOME/bin/java"
else
  JAVA_EXEC=java
fi
export CLASSPATH=".:VirtualTape.jar:$CLASSPATH"
"$JAVA_EXEC" com.ibm.vse.vtape.VirtualTapeServer "$@"

And can be run from the command line without any problem.

The service file is:

linux91:/etc/systemd/system # cat vtape.service
[Unit]
Description=VSE VTAPE daemon
After=graphical.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/IBM/VSEVTAPE/run.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical-user.target

When I try to start it, I get the following logged in the journal file:

Dec 06 14:03:36 linux91 systemd[1]: Started VSE VTAPE daemon.
Dec 06 14:03:36 linux91 run.sh[17403]: Error: Could not find or load main
class com.ibm.vse.vtape.VirtualTapeServer
Dec 06 14:03:36 linux91 systemd[1]: vtape.service: Main process exited,
code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 06 14:03:36 linux91 systemd[1]: vtape.service: Unit entered failed
state.
Dec 06 14:03:36 linux91 systemd[1]: vtape.service: Failed with result
'exit-code'.

When I run it manually, it starts up fine:

linux91:/opt/IBM/VSEVTAPE # ./run.sh
Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
(C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1998, 2010. All Rights Reserved.

US Government Users Restricted Rights -
Use, duplication or disclosure restricted by
GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.

VirtualTapeServer starting...
VirtualTapeServer listening on port 2386
Enter 'quit' to stop the server

I take it that SYSTEMCTL is running in a different environment than I am.
Is there something in the service file where I can set the correct
environment?

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting