On 18Jan04:1336+0000, Guest, Darren wrote:

> Not sure if people have seen that attached article or heard
: of the 'intel' chip issues from elsewhere:
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>
> The 'fix' for meltdown (at least) is apparently to change the
> Linux kernel which will potentially affect performance. I'm
> pretty sure that zSeries isn't affected by the issue (is it?),
> but if the Linux Kernel is changed, are we likely to see a
> performance hit on Linux running on zSeries as well (even
> though we don't need the fix)?
>
> Best case scenario, can I tell my management that these won't
> affect Linux on z?

According to this article published by Red Hat, you cannot.

: Red Hat has been made aware of multiple microarchitectural
: (hardware) implementation issues affecting many modern
: microprocessors, requiring updates to the Linux kernel,
: virtualization-related components, and/or in combination
: with a microcode update.  An unprivileged attacker can use
: these flaws to bypass conventional memory security
: restrictions in order to gain read access to privileged
: memory that would otherwise be inaccessible. There are 3
: known CVEs related to this issue in combination with Intel,
: AMD, and ARM architectures. Additional exploits for other
: architectures are also known to exist. These include IBM
: System Z,  POWER8 (Big Endian and Little Endian), and
: POWER9 (Little Endian).

https://access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/speculativeexecution?sc_cid=7016000000127NJAAY
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________