On 06/21/2018 04:35 PM, Tuan M. Hoang wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 06/13/2018 03:32 AM, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>> On 06/13/2018 05:58 AM, Tuan M. Hoang wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The Alpine Linux Project has released the the 2nd release candidate for
>>> its 3.8 stable series with support for z/VM and KVM.
>>>
>>> For the installation guide and more information, please visit :
>>> https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/S390x.
>>
>> Thanks for the good writeup.
>> Will there also be a bootable iso image to simplify the KVM installation even
>> more?
>
> rc8 includes a bootable iso image for KVM. Please try it out at:
> http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.8/releases/s390x/alpine-standard-3.8.0_rc8-s390x.iso

I can easily boot that iso image with kvm:

$ qemu-system-s390x -enable-kvm -nographic -cdrom
alpine-standard-3.8.0_rc8-s390x.iso
LOADPARM=[        ]
Using virtio-blk.
ISO boot image size verified
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
[...]
Welcome to Alpine Linux 3.8
Kernel 4.14.51-0-vanilla on an s390x (/dev/console)
localhost login:

same happens with virt-install. So its an ready to use image but not an
installer?