On 29.06.2018 00:10, Donald Russell wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 14:27 Donald Russell <russell....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The dasdfmt -b 4096 --mode=expand worked great.   Started formatting the
>> disk at track 150240 as expected.  But then fdasd choked saying only the
>> first 10016 cylinders are formatted so I can’t create the new larger
>> partition.
>>
>> How can I coerce fdasd into doing the right thing? Whatever fdasd is
>> looking at for that cylinder count I expected dasdfmt to update.
>>
>> Where is that data, maybe I can just zap it with some other tool like cms
>> pipe read/write track.

fdasd is looking at the DASD's VTOC, specifically at the format 5 DSCB
that is supposed to list free space extents on the volume. The 'dasdfmt
--mode expand' call doesn't add the newly formatted extent to this DSCB,
therefore fdasd assumes that that it is not formatted.

This is a bug/limitation in dasdfmt/fdasd and we plan to fix this in a
future version of s390-tools.

In the meantime, you can try the following:

# fdasd /dev/dasd...
u ('re-create VTOC re-using existing partition sizes')
y ('yes')
w ('write table to disk and exit')

You need to perform these steps TWICE, or fdasd will terminate with a
"BUG..." statement when you try to create/change partitions afterwards.

Regards,
  Peter Oberparleiter

--
Peter Oberparleiter