Jake,

I still use CPFMTXA to format an entire volume before using it the first
time.  That will prompt you for a 6 character label. You might choose
something like LX5535. Once it is formatted, you will need to attach it to
SYSTEM (att 5535 system).  Then you can use it in the user directory entry,
referencing it by label not rdev.  For example:

MDISK 0100 3390 0001 10016 *LX5535 *MR LNX4VM LNX4VM LNX4VM
MDISK 0100 3390 *10017 *9496  *LX5535 *MR LNX4VM LNX4VM LNX4VM

Hope this helps.

    -Mike

--
     -Mike MacIsaac