I attempted to post this to the ibmvm list but have had some problems
subscribing to that list so I am hoping that someone here can help.
 I have used the “upgrade” path to upgrade from 6.3 to 6.4 and have started
stage 2 using “instupgr stage2 (commit”.
There were instructions to shut down non-essential VMs and unfirtunately I shut
down the file pool server VMSYSP. instupgr now fails because it needs that
fileserv.
After some messing about I re-ipled z/vm and logged on to MIGMAINT again but it
cannot start CMS because a saved segment is missing.
The backout is to restore from the backup taken before stage2 (it is a
flashcopy  taken with DFDSS using CPVOLUME option which I understood to have
been tested as part of DR but I found out that a different VM is used for DR.
I have DDR backups from before stage1 which are over a week old so I would
prefer to fix the problem if possible.
Keith Gooding