I’m 71. So far I have no desire to retire and have not been encouraged to
leave. I’m not aware of age discrimination here.

Several years back (5-10) we were encouraged to go work at home. I may have
been the last one to take the offer. I’m gregarious by nature, but eventually I
was surrounded by empty cubicles and attending all meetings by phone. New
management came in and wanted us all to come back in to work. For a few years
I’ve been told Concord (CA) is next. Quite a few people went back in this
month. But I was not contacted. The rumor is that management has decided not to
bother mainframers for fear we will retire rather than going back into work.
(Might be true!)

This is relevant to this discussion because it appears to be the reverse of
what happened at IBM.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 16, 2018, at 3:14 PM, Rick Troth <r...@casita.net> wrote:

> On 11/16/18 4:33 PM, Gabe Goldberg wrote:
> https://features.propublica.org/ibm/ibm-age-discrimination-american-workers/
>

> No surprises, just a lot of details...

As it happens, I just learned this week that a good friend was cut loose
from a certain other company. I won't say which, but I used to work
there. He said new manglement decided to get rid of "long timers". The
way he said it, the ax was more about longevity ... "you say that like
it's a bad thing". It struck me that the new owners wanted firm control
or some such. Brilliant: get rid of the people who know the products,
business, customers best. Just camp on that juicy IP and stack-o-patents
and brand. oy

My buddy is definitely running into ageism on his new search though:
lots of interviews, no offers.

Re-invent yourself, retrain, reassign, relocate. BT/DT and would again
for the right job. But I don't think these execs really want to hire
skill, talent, or know-how.

Paul Henry is mentioned in the ProPublica piece. I know him! He hired me
at Nationwide. I remember his thick Boston accent as he baited me,
"We're serious about virtualization".

-- R; <><