If you’ve been running in NTLM compatibility mode for nigh on 20 years (1999
was a long time ago), you’ve got much, much bigger headaches to worry about.
There is a chapter in the document I referenced on what to do with NTLM-based
authentication sources. Linux is actually a pretty decent AD client and server
these days now that AD is relatively free of the weird wire protocols - even
works with some GPO operations, which keeps the Windows folks happy.

Just out of curiosity, how many pure NetBIOS/LAN Manager systems do you still
have? They’re about the only thing I can think of that would still care about
the old way. Anything post-Win9x with service packs should be able to do the
Kerberos stuff.