Jan Stodola wrote:
>you can run RHEL-8 on zVM 6.4 if you run it on z13 or later.

Yes, and that's a RHEL 8 requirement. All currently available LinuxONE
machines are OK, too (LinuxONE Emperor, Emperor II, Rockhopper, and
Rockhopper II).

If you're using z/VM Single System Image (SSI) features that span across
machines, then you might need all the SSI machines to be at least at z13 or
LinuxONE level. As I recall, SSI reports the lowest machine level within
the group to all guests in the group ("lowest common denominator" style),
and RHEL 8 might not appreciate a too low model report even if its physical
machine happens to be suitable model in reality. If that's your situation
then I suggest creating either a separate, suitable SSI group that excludes
the pre-z13/pre-LinuxONE machine(s) or a non-SSI z/VM instance on a
suitable machine.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com