Have you seen this when building anything other than SSL?

Have you tried varying the binutils version that you're running with?
(This is one reason I use Chicory, so I can fall-back to a recent
known-good release of any particular package.)

-- R; <><

--
-- R; <><

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390