If the symmetric key is known by a 3rd party, the strength of symmetric
encryption is irrelevant.

Weaknesses in TLS and ssh are not around the symmetric ciphers. They are
around the handshakes that establish the symmetric key.

I consider ssh key exchange weaker than TLS because it doesn’t use a PKI.
The public-private key pairs never expire and are under end user control,
as are the algorithms for symmetric key exchange.  Further, there’s no
equivalent of “certificate validation.”

But that’s a general weakness.

Look at the IBM Z Security Portal for information about z/OS ssh, just as
you would for any other vulnerabilities.

Regards,
Alan Altmark
IBM

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www2.marist.edu_htbin_wlvindex-3FLINUX-2D390&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=XX3LPhXj6Fv4hkzdpbonTd1gcy88ea-vqLQGEWWoD4M&m=Hu40JiisouNgB2GUAmlHyOPrevBppZmOD7n2tUCSHzk&s=c-Af5JAKgc2avGZLKv34Du7jLyY7BwKKj5gRsDlk6k8&e=

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390