On 30.04.20 19:38, Robert J Brenneman wrote:
> Essentially - Linux is going to end up with the Windows Registry instead of
> /etc with a bunch of poorly designed and inconsistent APIs and CLIs on top
> for management.
There's something to be said for having a consistent way to maintain
configuration with an ability to set watches on it (like GSettings with
a dconf backend). But that's sidetracking the news here. (And the
registry is truly awfully under-specified with no known schema.)

I wonder if people here forgot about NSS and PAM. People did
authentication and authorization using LDAP for ages. And as it turns
out this is essentially the same concept, just with a different data source.

I also keep wondering why people are not allowed to try and innovate.
Most things within ecosystems succeed because of some technical merit.
That's not quite true between ecosystems, but I'd wager that there are
always multiple to choose from - even if it imposes a potentially high
cost to switch. If there are not, you are locked in and that might be a
business risk you'd want to avoid.

This in particular does not look like there would be any kind of lock-in
especially given the very clear design constraints around client systems.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390