Tom:

I believe you meant they do "not" have z/VM? If you are just looking at
this to run VTAPE you don't need a hypervisor. Run the Linux image in an
LPAR. My interpretation is that they don't have an IFL either so "native"
Linux would be easier to start with. If they decide to buy an IFL in the
future, IBM offers z/VM at a large discount when acquired with the IFL.
There are several attractive offerings to help z/VSE customers get started
with Linux on Z.

Jim Elliott
Senior IT Consultant - GlassHouse Systems Inc.