On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 at 14:45, Neale Ferguson <ne...@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> I believe in the early 2000s the Linux on 390 developers in Böblingen
> attempted to provide a similar mechanism for the kernel but it wasn't well
> received by the rest of the community. It's a pity but with so many hands
> involved with so many device drivers it was going to be a hard sell.

It's interesting that the Linux world did it for the man pages. With some
infrastructure, you could even hide the message identifier from being
shown, but still have "man" able to retrieve the proper information. Just
have someone come up with the idea to use a SHA1 rather than a cryptic
message identifier, and they will embrace it. The kernel and device drivers
are a bit different because you don't have man pages there. It will take
them also a few decades before users insist on having online help for
kernel parameters and device drivers, rather than separate text files on
kernel.org

Rob

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390