: There's another advantage with this means of conversion that I forgot
: to mention. By using macros to retain compatibility with as86, it's
: easy to do regression tests to ensure the semantics of the code have not
: changed. As I convert the code to use my macros, I periodically run this
: make rule:
:
: first:        first.S
:       gcc -DUSE_AS86 -E -traditional -o first.s first.S
:       as86 -0 -b first first.s
:       cmp first first.ref
:
Ken - quite cute.  I'm glad you posted this, as I have found myself wondering
how to cope with the myrad of idiotic assembler source formats, and how
to make sure that as I change continually one to another, when to know I've
screwed up.

God I wish that the NASM guys would have at least allowed some of the more
obtuse forms of source input, so at least we could have used a single assembler,
then worked on changing source formats...

Greg