On Tuesday, September 28, 1999 12:26 PM, Alan Cox [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
wrote:
: >     As I mentioned before, if this were performed with code segments
: > only, then they could still be shared with the resulting memory decrease benefit.
:
: But is outweighed by the cost of no swapping or defragmentation

        Yes, but it'd make sense to set a noswap bit for large executables,
at least we could run them, which we can't AT ALL now.

:
: >     In fact, with a ridiculous increase in code size, all absolute
: > locations could use a [bx] register offset to get to a small table of hard
: > adresses, just like the ELF .got section is implemented.  I'm not recommending
: > this, though, since we're already short on cseg space.
:
: You need to cover call/ret sequences. It is doable but hard

        I forgot about that, I concede this one to you, noone wants
to trace stacks fixing up segments but maybe MS...

:
: