Hi Al,
I think this will be interesting for most people on the list...
well, I've written this version of init.c and modified date.c.

*** init.c does a decent job, according to me, allowing the elks
administrator to write a /etc/inittab file, but it sometimes (quite
regularly) corrupts utmp.  I fear that I'm using too much memory, so I'm
rewriting it again (but I have much less time now, compared to the
previous weeks), this time I only keep in memory the ID and pid of
running children which need to be respawned.  I will not care about
anything else.  Do we have anything to measure the memory we still have
at disposition?  so I can check any possible memory leak and compare
memory usage.  the problem with the utmp is not a direct issue to me, so
I prefer focusing on memory usage first.

*** date.c allows you to *insert* the current date (only ISO format
[yy]yy-M-d[Th[:m[:s]]] is understood).  there are three ways to do this:

date <date> (date is given as parameter)
date ?  (stop and ask for the current date)
date ?? (checks current date, if before 1992, it asks for the current
date)
a date without century is interpreted as 1970-2069.

I included 'clock -s ; date ??' in my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, specified
in my /etc/inittab as
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

oh, yes:
under elks 0.0.79 this gave some problems, since only *one* virtual
console was spawned (I had to log in as root and give 'init <current
runlevel>' to start them).  in 0.0.81 this has been solved.
under 0.0.81, clock does not work any more on my PPC640: it reads
rubbish from the CMOS clock and writes such rubbish that after that the
computer thinks the CMOS clock is broken.  so I took 'clock -s' away
from my system initialization.

how do I contribute the two programs?  is 'just mail to the
list' an option?

Mario.