> Hi folks.

Hi.  Well, looks like there aren't any other folks out there with an
answer, so why don't I take a shot at this one :)

> I have a little problem. I got an Amstrad PC1640 HD20. Real old.

Well, really old means a lot of different things to different people.  I
thought the couple origional IBM PCs I had around were old until I bought
a late 70s TRS-80 :)  *Anyway*, if it's something old enough that it won't
run plain old Linux, but is new enough to be X86 / X88 based, you're in
the right place.

 I don't
> even know how much RAM it has. So tell me, any hope for porting Lunux to
> it, or do I have to find myself a 386 with 4 MB of RAM?

What do you want in the end, exactly??  Elks and Linux aren't really quite
the same, despite what the name implies.  Elks doesn't have things like
networking that you may want, and due to the type of CPU it's targeted
to, memory protection / security really isn't there either.  If you want a
more advanced Linux install, your 386 suggestion is a good one.  If you
just want to have a little fun running the old machine, Elks may work for
you.  I don't know for sure, but I have an Amstrad manual around somewhere
for one of their Z80 based (8 bit) machines.  If you're still lost, I
could see if it just happens to be the sam model.  Good luck!

        Dan